Thursday, December 29, 2011

Mike's Quilt

This summer my son ask me for a new quilt as his quilt from high school graduation was falling apart. So the question was what style and what fabrics. Think, think, think. I wanted to make something meaningful but simple for him. Something usable. While playing on the Internet one day I came across a link on my local quilt guild's site for jelly roll races http://www.bakersfieldquiltguild.org/sharing.html . Boy did this look like fun. So out to the sewing room I went. I collected fabrics from my shelves that represented memories of my son. Into the quilt went scraps from shorts I had made for him as a child (he is 30 years old now, goes to prove I never throw anything away. LOL) . Some of the themes were cub scouts, boy scouts, fishing, soccer, music, army, fabric from his wedding quilt, left overs from the quilts I made for his son, my grandson, and in between I place strips of muslin to record memories and important dates for him. I sewed the strips in chronological order rather than the way the video showed though. What a great way to express memories through quilting.

This is something I would be willing to do as a special order for others.




No comments:

Post a Comment